Coming Soon!

  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 2

Friday, May 25, 2007

Shrek the Third: More Ogre, Less Funny


Statistically, if you were one of the twelve people in the United States who did not see this film, I'd advise reading this review before you go. For the rest of you, feel free to agree or disagree.

Shrek the Third crept up on me rather unexpectedly, and I think it's because after seeing Shrek 2, I had convinced myself that there would not be another one. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed Shrek 2, but I felt that after the film was done we had pretty much seen everything compelling that a smelly green ogre and his animal pals could do. After seeing Shrek the Third, my opinion hasn't changed.

The Third very much wants to be Shrek 2, because much like the middle chapter of the franchise The Third is less of a parody fairy tale as it is a backdrop for jokes about pop-culture. This worked for Shrek 2, as the jokes in that film were genuinely funny, but in the latest film many fall flat. In fact, there are very few times that I recall myself, or anyone else in the theater over the age of 8, laughing out loud. There's a few good ones, but they are simply too infrequently to make the movie any fun.

The film also seemed to lack the genuine "heart" that the first two Shrek films had. Where before I remember hooting and hollering for these characters to disrupt the schemes of Lord Farquaad, or to save the Kingdom of "Far Far Away", this time I watched the scenes unfold before me with passing interest. It's hard to describe exactly why, but I was not invested in these characters at all this time around.

There were far too many missed opportunities for genuine comedy to list here, but the one that sticks out to me was high school sequence. Essentially: Shrek, Donkey, and Puss visit the "fairy tale high-school" to retrieve "Arty" to become the new king of "Far Far Away". It almost felt to me that the writers felt as if fairy tale characters in high school would be inherently funny. Anyone who actually remembers high school, however, could tell you there is never anything inherently funny about it. Some actual jokes would have been good there, and could have been great.

Perhaps the most disturbing revelation in Shrek the Third was showing us where the Shrek franchise is heading (don't kid yourself, there will be a 4th). These films are quickly devolving into pure children's films. And, while it's true the Shrek films have always entertained the little ones, there used to be humor for us adults too. Perhaps the kiddos will be the only ones who truly wind up loving Shrek the Third.

2/10

No comments: