Coming Soon!

  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 2

Friday, June 8, 2007

Best of 2006…6 Months Late


I know what you’re all thinking…

“Damn that guy’s lazy! It’s frickin’ June and he’s just now coming out with a top 10 list for last year? Lame.”

My undeniable lameness aside, let me explain myself: I live in Iowa. While that in itself may seem to explain a lot, allow me to divulge further: living in “The Land of Golden Corn and Hogs” (OK, I don’t really know the state motto) and not even the Des Moines area, mind you, we get passed over when it comes to some major film releases. While I was able to see many of the films in my list in the theatre, there were a handful of worthy releases (for example: Letters from Iwo Jima, The Good German, Shortbus) that never came within an hour-and-a-half’s drive from my place. I could have easily produced a list of films I was able to see in the theatre, but I know I’d be regretting it by this time. Now that I’ve caught up with every film I believe would be in contention for my list this year (knowing that I’ll probably come across a missed gem a year or two down the road) I’ll get on with it:

  1. Children of Men- Creating a world as engaging and frightening as any put on film, Alfonso Cuarón’s tale of a society without a future was the most viscerally exciting film to hit cinemas in 06. Much like Blade Runner 25 years before, this film will be looked back upon as an essential piece of science fiction that was sadly overlooked (in awards and at the box office) the year it was released. The best science fiction uses high concepts to get us to look at the world around us. Children of Men does this while being both haunting and optimistic.
  1. United 93- While not a film anyone would probably want to revisit over and over again, Paul Greengrass’ docudrama United 93 is an experience that displays the power of the cinema. Heart-wrenching, it presents a you-are-there account of the events of 9/11 through the eyes of the passengers of United Flight 93. It’s understandable that not a lot of people went to go see the movie in the theatre, but also a shame because I fear it won’t be nearly as gut-twisting in a home theatre setting.
  1. Letters from Iwo Jima- Check The Film Lounge archives for a full review of what I think is one of the greatest World War II films ever made.
  1. Pan’s Labyrinth- In my recent Pirates of the Caribbean 3 non-review I did a rant on a problem I have with the fantasy genre. I had totally forgotten about the ‘childhood/is this a dream or is this the reality’ subgenre consisting of Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and Spirited Away—of which I’m a fan. In that subgenre the fantastical is allowed to be nonsensical, this is how a child’s imagination works. Guillermo del Toro’s Pan’s Labyrinth is an instantly classic example of this form of storytelling- a dark fairy tale that follows a young girl who, when not dealing with her abusive (and insane) stepfather, performs a series of tasks for a faun she discovers in the labyrinth behind her house.
  1. Little Children- I’m a sucker for dramatic irony and Todd Field’s adaption of Tom Perrotta’s novel has it in spades. Centered on a couple of young, desperate housepeople in a small community, the film is carried by strong performances by the always great Kate Winslet and former child star Jackie Earle Haley as a sexual deviant, just-released from prison. The film is surprisingly funny while it prepares to stab you in the heart.
  1. The Fountain- A lot of people will no doubt absolutely hate The Fountain, Darren Aronofsky’s sci-fi epic about the search for eternal life. It’s a bit pretentious, it’s certainly over-reaching, and it gets a bit kooky in the third act---all three reasons why I loved it. I’ll admit to personally reacting strongly to the subject matter while conceding that it may be more of a brilliant disaster/future cult classic than a legitimate cinema great.
  1. Marie Antoinette- A smart, light film about the horrors of young womanhood and the expectations and isolation that comes with privilege, Sophia Coppola’s third film is a real charmer. Kirsten Dunst glows in the title role while a pop music soundtrack keeps this period piece from feeling old and stuffy.
  1. The Departed- Martin Scorcese’s best film since…The Aviator is a twisty-turny crime thriller that touches upon the same ‘what does identity mean’ ground as 06s A Scanner Darkly (just shy of making this list.)
  1. Dreamgirls- Throwing any man-credibility I had out the window, I can’t deny the infectious energy this film radiated from the screen. Doling out strong musical numbers and a history lesson on race/image issues in the music industry, Dreamgirls’ tale of an alternate Supremes universe is a real crowd-pleaser. Jennifer Hudson probably doesn’t have much of a future acting in films where’s she’s not required to sing, but at least she has a well-deserved Oscar for her role as Effie, the singer with the voice and depth that strongly contrasts Beyonce Knowles’ Deena.
  1. The Descent- I’ve been making top 10 lists for my own personal gratification for around eight years and I usually like to throw an oddball film as my tenth choice. While there were certainly better films this year than The Descent that didn’t make this list, none got my blood racing like this film did. A mixture of the scariest parts of Deliverance, Aliens, and Ravenous, The Descent is also the rare horror film with depth. Watch it in the darkest room possible.

1 comment:

Ed said...

Children of Men is great cinema! The proof - it took me weeks of reflecting on it and a second viewing to really absorb what I saw and what I felt. Its dual nature (haunting and optimistic) present a world that is engrossing, compelling, though-provoking... anything but forgettable. Some of the sequences are the best I've seen and the care with which it was handled elevate it well above your standard cinematic fare. I fully endorse your ranking of #1.