Coming Soon!

  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 2

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Shoot Em Up is Unbelievable Fun


What is there to say about Shoot Em Up? Watching it you are witness to a seemingly never-ending parade of unbelievable scenes - one after another after another. For those easily offended, you might wish to stay home, but for the rest of us it is definitely game on!

I went into the theater with an idea of what to expect, but of course it wasn't enough to prepare me because right out of the gates Shoot Em Up goes into action-overdrive and lets up for maybe a grand total of 10 minutes for the whole affair. It was so over-the-top I laughed through whole movie and I'd argue that it gives Planet Terror a run for it's money as far as the extent of its presentation. I mean, really, who thinks this stuff up?! It was a world of fun but you really have to scratch your head. Someone was a neglected child. I think it was writer/director Michael Davis.

Clive Owen strikes again (see Inside Man review here) and stars as the mysterious Mr. Smith. All you really need to know is that he is a bad-ass AND probably the best gunslinger ever.... at least so far as the 21st century is concerned. Smith's skills defy belief and beguile the mind; there are more than a few instances where instant replay would have been nice and you think to yourself, "did that really just happen?" Yes, Virginia, it did. I saw stuff I have never imagined before including a man firing bullets with his bare hand! (don't wait for explanation, just see the movie) His BARE HAND. That's NOT RIGHT!

Shoot Em Up is sort of like that episode of the Simpsons where Homer buys a handgun and uses it for everything, including normal everyday actions like opening beer cans. You get a high body count to go with the gunplay but the violence in this film didn't irk me like with Kill Bill: Vol. I.

For some reason that I have yet to discern, there is a fairly knotted plot to Shoot Em Up that actually ends up carrying an anti-gun message??? That I'm not entirely sure about, though I have heard it stated as such. If anything I think the depth to which they took the plot bogged down the action and frantic pace of the film. It wasn't necessary to the crazy, fun mood of the film.

Paul Giamatti stars as Smith's nemesis Mr. Hertz, who is obsessed with eliminating Smith and what he has in his possession. He is a family man and a contract gun for hire. An ironic, comical marriage, it was easy to see that Giamatti really ate up this role and had fun with the character. Monica Bellucci also starred as the eye candy, lady of the night Donna Quintano.

Honestly, Shoot Em Up is exactly what its name suggests and nothing more. If you take this film at all serious, you have done yourself a huge disservice and ruined the experience. Get a bunch of friends together, have a few brews and watch this film and you will have a great time. I guarantee it! 8/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alas you have witnessed what I thought the best movie I've seen in the theater since 'Hot Fuzz' way back in May. Well, it may have been the only movie I'd seen in the theater since "Hhot Fuzz" back in May. But yes I did get the anti-gun message as well, and it's even better than 'Planet Terror' because there are no melting peni.