Coming Soon!

  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt 2

Sunday, October 7, 2007

What Fought My Foo...9/30-10/6/07

I may have been over-writing these in the past couple entries, so I’ll keep this week nice and short.

Erase/Replace from Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace - Foo Fighters (music)
ESPG is another solid album for the reliably good Foo Fighters. It may not be their best release, but it’s more focused than the filler-filled In Your Honor double album. The stand out song from the album, Erase/Replace, combines singer/guitarist Dave Grohl’s whiplash-causing vocal dexterity from quiet whisper-singing to full on scream with some speed-metal drumming for what is certainly the Fighters’ most rocking song in years.

The Balcony Archive (web)
I could spend hours watching the archived reviews of all incarnations of the Siskel & Ebert/Ebert & Roeper television programs…and now I can. Thousands and thousands of reviews have now been posted online so everyone can watch the infamous Blue Velvet disagreement or Ebert’s Hated-Hated-Hated review of North.

The Perry Bible Fellowship (web comic)
I would argue that most web comics have about the same ‘funny’:’huh?’ ratio, and The Perry Bible Fellowship is no exception. Some of the strips are either unfunny or confusing, but when it hits the sweet spot of perversion and humor, its brilliance.

Bummer of the Week:
Seth Rogen on Saturday Night Live

Rogen wasn’t really that bad of host—he was game for whatever they threw at him and didn’t look like he was reading off cue cards (most of the time), but the sketches he starred in were underwhelming and too often fell back on a stoner/crude persona. The 2007 Douchebag Awards was an alright sketch and I laughed at Rowlf and the Swedish Chef—even when I knew it wasn’t funny, but I was left disappointed by Stonetown and the increasingly unfunny MacGruber. Musical guest Spoon, on the other hand, were excellent and I quite enjoyed Chevy Chase’s appearance.

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Yes! I am loving the online archives and I was a little disappointed in the sketches they came up with for Seth Rogen. And I need some more fall TV reviews. Where's the love for Pushing Daisies?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this link - but unfortunately it seems to be not working? Does anybody here at thefilmlounge.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Thanks,
Alex

Anonymous said...

Hey,

This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at thefilmlounge.blogspot.com.

Can I use some of the information from your blog post right above if I provide a backlink back to your site?

Thanks,
Harry

Ed said...

Sure. Go ahead. Please just give proper attribution, credit, links.

Anonymous said...

Nice work, Thanks